The Premier Trial Sport Website for photos, articles, news and the history of motorcycle trials
Welcome to Trials Guru! – More than just a place to view photos, Trials Guru is also a place to read articles, news, facts and information from the sport of motorcycle trials world-wide … we believe in Quality, not Quantity.
What is Trials Guru?
- Trials Guru is completely free to use, free unlimited access, no subscriptions to pay, just go ahead and enjoy trial history photos, articles, news and information.
- It is operated by a trials enthusiast for trials enthusiasts!
- We do not claim to be the biggest or best trials only website in the universe, you decide how good we are. The content is growing all the time, but we do it without subscription or fuss, we just speak trials here, unless something interesting comes our way.
- We are committed to recording the history of our sport as much as is possible in a reliable manner, for instance the Scottish Six Days and Scott Trial special sections, which list the winners year by year and some interesting and some long forgotten facts about these famous events.
- Please however be respectful of the copyright of our photographers who have given Trials Guru permission to use their images, they should not be displayed on social media or other websites without the photographer’s permission.
- Thank you for taking an interest in this website. If you enjoy the experience please tell others if not, please tell me. There is a ‘contact‘ for this purpose.
- We have been asked “How was the phrase Trials Guru coined?” – Simple, it was a conversation between John Moffat and the aunt of British Trials Champion, James Dabill. Her partner is a Ford technician and she calls him the ‘Ford Guru‘ she suggested that John Moffat was perhaps the ‘Trials Guru‘ and the nickname stuck! Hence the naming of this website: ‘Trials Guru’.
‘Sections’ on Trials Guru:
Trials Guru News:
History preserved …
Yoomee Ltd are proud that they are the publishers of this superb semi-hardback book by John Moffat which covers the history of Motorcycle Competition in Scotland from 1975 – 2005. (ISBN: 978-0-9927596-1-2)
The foreword is written by eight times TT winner, Jim Moodie.
Presented with a mixture of exciting, and in many cases un-seen, colour and black and white images, this publiocation is in A4 size format with over 100 pages of informative and interesting text.
This is a book which explores and describes in words and photographs, competitors and enthusiasts from motorcycle sport in Scotland and more! It’s about people, places and events from this era, the endeavours and performances by motorcycle sports most respected riders, who were either born or brought up in Scotland.
A book which will convey you back to a time-period when Scotland produced not only British, but also European and in some cases World championship contenders. Riders who endeavoured to create performances, which proved they were serious competitors in racing, trials, enduro, and motocross.
This is a book aimed at the motorcycle enthusiast.
There will be a donation to the ACU Benevolent Fund from the free proceeds of this publication. The ACU Ben Fund was established in 1951 and is a registered UK charity for the benefit of motorcycle club members who have fallen on hard times. (The first donation of £200 was made on 23rd July 2015).
Full details of price, how and where to buy Motorcycle Sport Scotland 1975-2005 : Here
Who is behind Trials Guru?
It’s no mystery. Trials Guru was created by Scotsman, John Moffat, a trials enthusiast for over 40 years. It was an idea that dates back to 2003, but only came to fruition in March of 2014 when Trials Guru was set up online.
Who is funding Trials Guru?
Photographs and their copyright:
- We respect the copyright of our photographers who give us access to their work free of charge.
- Please do not breach copyright laws by taking images from this website for use elsewhere. Permission has been sought and granted from the copyright owners for the use of images on Trials Guru.
- We are indebted to our photographers for their continued support of this venture.
- Please be aware: All photographs displayed on Trials Guru are not held in any archive by the website operator, as the images are the legal intellectual property of the photographer only.
- We do not sell any images used on Trials Guru, if you wish to purchase a copy, we can put you in touch with the relevant photographer.
- We don’t support discussion forums on Trials Guru and we don’t as a rule discuss matters in open forum on our facebook page either.
- We simply don’t have free moderation time for such forums and as such we have no plans to create any such facilities on Trials Guru.
- Our view is that many forums on internet websites, even those that are relied upon by corporations and large companies to provide useful technical support to their customers, are a mix of information and misinformation, which may or may not be correct. They are also widely dotted with personality clashes and forced opinions with little or no evidence material to support them.
- In some cases they may indeed be useful to obtain limited information.
- Trials Guru would much rather bring you as much factual information, features and photographs for the enjoyment of the sport of trials instead of spending time creating a forum platform which would require moderation resources which we simply don’t have at our disposal.
- There are many other websites that offer such a platform or service, Trials Guru is different in this respect.
- We have been asked why this website does not cover youth trials.
- There is a good reason for this as there are child protection regulations and certain restrictions on publishing photographs of children on websites only if express permission is granted.
- So we have decided not to publish any photos of competitors under the age of 16 years. Competitors over the age of 16 are classed as adults.
- We will only publish images of people under 16 years of age if it is related to an article on a particular competitor’s history, if appropriate and with their permission to do so.
- We hope this clarifies the situation.
Trials Guru Scrapbook …
Trials Guru, some interviews and meeting colourful characters from the sport of motorcycling – it’s not all trials:
- This site is a free facility to read about the sport of Motorcycle Trials. The people who compete, the people who organised events and to view photographs, old and not so old, some never published before – from the sport of motorcycle trials.
- Also, when time allows, to produce articles on specific events and personalities from the sport of trials.
- Trials Guru began in early 2014, first on facebook, created by John Moffat originally as a bit of fun and hobby to post some photos and articles, as a ‘spin-off’ from the facebook page of the same name. A website media was explored, using the same name.
- Having knowledge of the internet and websites, a friend from the sport of trials, Heath Brindley (R2W Trials from Bristol) set up the Trials Guru website for John Moffat.
- Within a matter of weeks Trials Guru on both facebook and on the internet grew rapidly, with offers of direct sponsorship and advertising income.
- The offer of support was politely declined as Trials Guru runs without any outside financial assistance. We do not intend to compete with any other media, website or publication – we merely want to promote the sport and reflect on past experiences in the sport of the many people who have taken part.
- We do not charge for adverts or commercial links to other websites. It is not an income producing website.
- Trials Guru aim is to preserve information and record the history of the sport for future generations.
- John Moffat has been involved in the sport for over 40 years as a club member, official and competitor, he has a wide base of friends in the sport the world over.
- All articles are usually written by John Moffat, unless otherwise indicated. If you have a trials story to tell, contact Trials Guru via the ‘Contact’ facility.
Some more history:
This book, written by John Moffat: ‘Scotland’s Rich Mixture – Memories of Scottish Motor Cycle Sport 1945-1975‘ covers Scottish trials, scrambles, grass track and road racing, and describes the people, clubs and riders of that era.
It was produced in a limited quantity of 1,000 copies back in March 2005. Whilst it is now out of print, you may still be able to obtain a new copy by following the link below to The website of The Magazine Man, operated and owned by Brian Ashley in Stoke on Trent.
Ferry Brouwer, Yamaha Race Technician and former Arai helmet importer Europe: “This is a very interesting book, one which every Scottish enthusiast should have”.
Please Note: No part of the book ‘Scotland’s Rich Mixture’ described above, is reproduced in part or otherwise on this website.
To obtain a copy, follow this link: The Magazine Man link
John Moffat, sometimes referred to as ‘The Moffster’; is also guest presenter on Nevis Radio, Fort William during the Scottish Six Days week in early May. Trials Guru has personal connections in the sport worldwide.
Facebook and Twitter:
From time to time links are placed on ‘facebook’ and ‘twitter’ social media merely to alert readers of new material.
- You can join in on the Trials Guru Facebook page by clicking .. HERE
- Follow Trials Guru on twitter HERE
The ‘Guru’ … explained:
Because of the power to disperse darkness..
the ‘Guru’ is thus named.
The Legal stuff:
DISCLAIMER and COPYRIGHT:
- © – While extreme care has been taken to ensure that the information contained on this website is accurate, the author cannot accept any liability for loss, damage or injury howsoever caused by any errors in, or omissions from, any information given on this website.
- All the material including photographs on this web-site is copyright – © Trials Guru/Moffat Racing – John Moffat – unless otherwise stated with credit given to the individual photographer(s) or contributor(s).
- All images and text that are the property of ‘motorcycle manufacturer(s)’ displayed on Trials Guru are the property of those credited, they are used in good faith and taken from publicity material that has been issued to the general public, either directly by or agents of, the motorcycle manufacturer(s).
- All photographs on this website are protected by the law of copyright and may not be copied or reproduced without the copyholder’s permission. The images displayed on Trials Guru are the intellectual property of the photographer(s) and may not be used elsewhere without the express permission of the copyright holder(s).
- Please note: Trials Guru does not use any ‘collective pseudonym archive title’ for photographs taken by other persons. The only images credited as ‘Trials Guru Archive’ are specifically those images which are the intellectual legal property of John Moffat and/or his immediate family members only and are stored accordingly.
- All images which are the intellectual legal property of the individual photographer(s), who contribute to Trials Guru, are credited on an individual basis to that photographer(s) either on the image(s) or in the caption(s) below the image.
- No part of this website may be used without the express permission of the copyright holder(s)/author(s).
All written content on this website is copyright of: Trials Guru / Moffat Racing – and is the intellectual property of John Moffat, unless otherwise stated – © 2016 (All Rights Reserved).